Date:      Tue, 09 Jun 1998 00:15:06 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Jun-ichiro Itoh <itojun@itojun.org>
Cc:        core@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, tech-jp@jp.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new config

>	What is the plan for "config" program?  Specifically, when will
>	FreeBSD move to "new config" which is used by NetBSD or BSDI?
...(list of perceived benefits deleted)

   I'm fairly neutral regarding this issue. We haven't upgraded to the 'new'
config because in the past, the benefits for x86 don't outway the pain of
switching to it. This might change now that an Alpha port is on the horizon.
The other argument against wasting the effort on this has always been that
we wanted very much to migrate in the dynamic configuration direction and
'new' config is really only a step sideways toward that goal.
   Actually, the real reason we're still using the 'old' config is that I had
too many other things to worry about when we did the port of 4.4BSD-lite that
became FreeBSD 2.0. It was far easier to continue using the old mechanism than
it was to update all of the device drivers as well as a fair amount of the
rest of the low level code just to support it.
   Anyway, as long as I don't have to do it, I certainly won't stand in the
way of progress. I don't speak for other core members, however, so a decision
should be postponed until others have chimed in with their opinions.

-DG

David Greenman