Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 13:45:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
To:        anderson@centtech.com
Cc:        trhodes@FreeBSD.ORG, jim@FreeBSD.ORG, darklogik@pittgoth.com, dan@langille.org, blackend@FreeBSD.ORG, cjuniet@entreview.com, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/41106: FreeBSD Handbook lacks "Desktop Applications" chapter.

There may be ways to include it without merging it with the SQL DB in
freshports, although, even if it were in the SQL, couldn't we dump it
if we ever wanted something static and includable at freebsd.org?

How about we work it this way.  We declare september "the month of
port mongering", and have open submissions to be moderated and editted
by volunteers (I'll vol. to edit), which we do in october.  By
november 1, whether static or dynamic html, taking submissions or not,
we have a stand-alone site which houses the initial submissions from
september with some editting if not new submissions being moderated
and added.  The site is stand-alone, and it is not encouraged that
anyone link to it, because it is a prototype.  If diary or freshports
or even freebsd.org is interested in what we did, then they can take a
look, but by no means will this site be a permanent home.  To be
hard-ass about this, let's have Feb 1 be the sunset time of this site.
And announce it ahead of time, and enforce it.  I'd rather just see
what it looks like first before we figure out where it should live and
possibly with whom.

BTW submission guidelines so far:
*Write only good reviews about ports you love.  Be a port-monger.
*No bad-mouthing.  If the port you are praising has some shortcomings
which you cannot overlook, put them in bold and think of it as an open
invitation to the reader to help you with feedback.  Do not use this
as a forum to bitch about the maintainers, that's what mailing lists are
for.
*Be careful with versions.  FreeBSD version and port version (where does
the actual version of the port itself reside, btw, I don't know) a must.
Hardware makes/models and versions of ancillary ports are nice too as
appropriate.
*Be willing to maintain, or update, or maybe even merge in better
information should it come along.  Though this does not imply that
all reviews ought to be merged into one monster.

Can we still call it PortMongers?

-r