Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 18:37:36 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "E.B. Dreger" <eddy+public+spam@noc.everquick.net>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        "Peter C. Wallace" <pcw@mesanet.com>, Soren Kristensen <soren@soekris.com>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The ultimate board!

> Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:22:39 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
>
> > > Not bad.  But what is the cost of some of the better chips such as
> > > the DEC/Intel 21143 or even an Intel 8255x at that quantity?
> >
> > About 3-4 times the 83815... (when you add the PHY to the 21143 or
> > use the overpriced Intel chip...)
>
> Well.... the 83815 looks like the only choice, then. :-)

Killing the 21143 would, IMHO, be stupid... we'd probably better plan on
it happening. ;-)

If the 83815 ends up being a good chip, and Intel does kill the Tulip,
then it would be nice to know of alternatives to 3Com.  If the NS chip
works, I'm all for it... like Chris, I got a bit scared at the "sis"
listing in dmesg.

Doubts out of the way, I'm very eager to see what Soren makes, and hope
that people can get together enough volume. :-)

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc.
EverQuick Internet / EternalCommerce Division

Phone: (316) 794-8922