Date:      Mon, 05 Aug 2002 15:53:30 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
Cc:        trhodes@freebsd.org, jim@freebsd.org, darklogik@pittgoth.com, dan@langille.org, blackend@freebsd.org, cjuniet@entreview.com, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/41106: FreeBSD Handbook lacks "Desktop Applications" chapter.

Ross Lippert wrote:

> There may be ways to include it without merging it with the SQL DB in
> freshports, although, even if it were in the SQL, couldn't we dump it
> if we ever wanted something static and includable at freebsd.org?

Sure.. that's possible.  I'm sure Dan knows his db very well (:D) and could whip
out a dump in minutes if need be.

> How about we work it this way.  We declare september "the month of
> port mongering", and have open submissions to be moderated and editted
> by volunteers (I'll vol. to edit), which we do in october.  By
> november 1, whether static or dynamic html, taking submissions or not,
> we have a stand-alone site which houses the initial submissions from
> september with some editting if not new submissions being moderated
> and added.  The site is stand-alone, and it is not encouraged that
> anyone link to it, because it is a prototype.  If diary or freshports
> or even freebsd.org is interested in what we did, then they can take a
> look, but by no means will this site be a permanent home.  To be
> hard-ass about this, let's have Feb 1 be the sunset time of this site.
> And announce it ahead of time, and enforce it.  I'd rather just see
> what it looks like first before we figure out where it should live and
> possibly with whom.

Sounds like the right approach.

> BTW submission guidelines so far:
> *Write only good reviews about ports you love.  Be a port-monger.
> *No bad-mouthing.  If the port you are praising has some shortcomings
> which you cannot overlook, put them in bold and think of it as an open
> invitation to the reader to help you with feedback.  Do not use this
> as a forum to bitch about the maintainers, that's what mailing lists are
> for.
> *Be careful with versions.  FreeBSD version and port version (where does
> the actual version of the port itself reside, btw, I don't know) a must.
> Hardware makes/models and versions of ancillary ports are nice too as
> appropriate.
> *Be willing to maintain, or update, or maybe even merge in better
> information should it come along.  Though this does not imply that
> all reviews ought to be merged into one monster.
>
> Can we still call it PortMongers?

I don't see why not.  Also, it would be great if some of the port program writer's actually wrote the blurbs.

I know I will definitely write up some info for bsdsar, and of course I think
it's great! :)

Eric