Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 1996 12:38:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@fledge.watson.org>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Documenters <doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What printed documentation do we need?

I'd add a list of standard stuff, loosely based on a similar handbook
provided by BSDI with BSD/OS of various versions.  It might include:

+ How to use the man command, online help of other types -- an overview
  of lynx if it is the standard browser used now for the online handbook
  under a new installation.
+ Description of the file tree -- common locations for files, etc.
  Also perhaps a list of /etc config files, and a one line description
  of each, with a reference to the appropriate man page or handbook
  section.
+ Configuring ppp and internet connectivity
+ Adding users; information about the FreeBSD group, passwd, master.passwd,
  etc...  Maybe information on NIS configuration as an appendix
+ Configuring serial terminals and dialup lines
+ Specific device issues such as
  - using a serial mouse under X
  - an overview of the kernel interactive configuration utility and a little
    on io ports and conflicts
  - an overview plus examples for recompiling the kernel to include common
    devices
+ a few pages on how to configure
  - a web server
  - a bootp server
  - ethernet cards + simple routing -- perhaps bootp client stuff, etc
  - anonymous ftp server
  - dns server

Obviously a lot of this is covered in the FreeBSD handbook as is, but to
have a simple few-pages guide to this would be great -- especially for a)
new unix users and b) users experienced with different versions of unix
who need some pointers to the particulars of BSD-style operating systems.
Again, the BSDI handbook seems a good place to start looking for a quick
guide reference.  Not to say it's great for new users, just that in a
small space it explains how to get most of the important details of
internet connectivity and servers going.  Having complete documentation
in full form is good, but remembering my first experiences with running a
BSD server (the first unix server type I ran) I remember spending a long
time locating the configuration file I meant, or wondering how to set up
a feature while help from more knowing sources came in.