Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 19:18:36 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Producing non-GPLed tools for FreeBSD

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Brett Glass wrote:

> At 10:27 PM 10/19/98 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> >See also "man a.out".
>
> There's a fair amount of stuff there, but I can see many places where
> it might be open to interpretation. Would have to experiment to
> see how boundary conditions, etc. fleshed out.
>
> >No need to really rehash this here; the statement misses the distinction
> >between "use" and "utilize".  You can "utilize" GPL'ed code all you
> >want.
>
> I understand the distinction. What I don't want to do, however, is
> DEPEND on GPLed code.
>
> >The main issue is the assmebler.  For a compiler that can produce
> >ELF code, and which is under a BSD-style license, do a net search on
> >"TenDRA".
>
> I have; it's an interesting idea.. The problems that I see are that
> their attempt to formalize an intermediate language for the abstract
> syntax tree seems only to have been applied to C and C++. It's unclear
> how well it works for arbitrary languages. For example, as best I
> can tell, it only supports C-style null-terminated strings; it doesn't
> seem to support counted strings as a low-level construct.
>
> The instructions for porting TenDRA imply that it must be bootstrapped
> using GCC; it does not appear that it can bootstrap itself.

Doesn't GCC also need a working compiler (or cross compiler) to be ported
to a new system?

> Finally, it looks as if it uses as(1) and ld(1) on the target system
> rather than implementing them itself. So, when you get down to the
> assembly and object code levels, you're back in GNU territory.

Right. But if you use it, you get BSD licenced modern compiler for free.
So you don't have to make a compiler and a toolchain.

> I'd like to go right down to the bare metal. To do this, I'll need
> to learn how libraries are indexed, perhaps creating an index of
> them on the fly. And I'd probably need to make a header file converter.
> the C ones (.h) won't do much good for other languages....

This should be expected anyways, as I gather.

> --Brett

	Sander

	There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
	all these are just illusions.