Date:      Tue, 09 Jun 1998 00:34:30 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Atsushi Furuta <furuta@sra.co.jp>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, tech-jp@jp.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new config

>>> In article <199806090414.VAA00467@antipodes.cdrom.com>,
>	Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> writes:
>
>> Newconfig imposes very strict hierarchical structure on the system, and
>> whilst well-geared towards a static configuration, is much less well
>> suited to dynamic operation (my evaluation only).  Bearing in mind that
>> it has been at least a year since I had anything to do with newconfig,
>> I'd be interested in more clarification.
>
>  Please tell me your definition of "static/dynamic configuration" in
>this context.
>
>My understanding:
>
>	static configuration -> to give parameters in compile time
>	dynamic configuration -> to give parameters in boot time
>
>Is this correct?

   No.
   Static configuration: device drivers are compiled into the system.
   Dynamic configuration: device drivers are loaded/unloaded as part of
the boot process.
   Device parameters are something altogether seperate and I would expect
in the future that those will be implemented via some kind of extended sysctl
type thing.

-DG

David Greenman