Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 21:35:46 -0800
From:      Craig Shaver <craig@ProGroup.COM>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail configuration question

Doug Barton wrote:

> Craig Shaver wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Do you mind if I ask why you want to do this?  Is there a problem when
> > you have that many people in an envelope?  I have written some low level
> > email programs for clients that uses the envelope to load up multiple
> > recipients per domain.  This is done because it is too expensive and
> > time consuming to make multiple conections to the same domain.  AOL and
> > others often take a long time to connect.  Up to half an hour and
> > sometimes more.
>
>         Have you looked at bulk mailer (in the ports). It's a great product,
> very useful for large mailing lists.
>
> Doug

I believe the perl code I did was based on that very program.  And this
is what the original poster is trying to prevent.  It sorts by domain
and builds an envelope so that you can send multiple people the same
email in one connection.  Otherwise you end up spawning a connection for
each address in the list. It looks like I will have to rework the code
to figure out if the site is shutting me down.  Then I will have to
hammer him with 100 simultaneous connections, which will tie up more
resources on both ends.  I wonder how many people do this?

--
Craig Shaver, Productivity Group
POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088 (650)390-0654