Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 15:34:19 +0200 (MDT)
From:      Christoffer Walther <chrw@proventum.net>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Internet providers discouraging customers from unix

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Blaine Minazzi wrote:

> Jacob Suter wrote:
>
> We all get the "ASSHOLES DO VEX ME!" attitude from time to time.
> That is when we know that we are in need af a vacation.

Yeah well .. Too bad there isnt TIME to go on a vacation :)

> I find that most of the users I have that use some variation of unix,
> are far more able to solve their own problems than other users.
> I might have to spend a little more time at first, but they are usually
> not anywhere near as hard to deal with as the people who cannot even
> change directories, IF they even know what a directory is.
>
> They may be begginers with Unix, but, I am quite sure that you were a
> beginner once also.  I will even lay odds than you made some of the
> exact same stupid mistakes as the rest of us.  I will also bet that
> there were times that you recieved help from someone more astute than
> yourself...    Why not pass it on?

Thats true. Anyway, I cant wait til the day where I will be running win NT
and all of its applications, in a single window on my SGI irix desktop,
with better performance and stability than mickeysoft NT :)

Anyway, unix is meant (imo) as a server os, and most isps wants the
clients to be windows based, NT and win95, becuz performance and
STABILITY doesnt really matter that much when we are talking clients. And
NT and win95 is, after all easier to handle for the average "normal"
person, than a unixbox is. I think its ok. I wouldnt advise any of my
customers to put FreeBSD and X on their lan PCs. I would however, hear
of no other OS than unix (be it freebsd, irix, solaris, linux, etc.) if
the customer wanted to setup his own mail, dns, web etc. server.

In short, go for a heavy unix server u put away in the basement and use
telnet for administration. Put NT on ur desktop (unless u need heavy
workstations ofcuz)

> Bkm

Christoffer Walther
Unix Admin & Hostmaster