Date:      Tue, 9 Jun 1998 21:12:31 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        freebsd@tomqnx.com (Tom Torrance)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFW problem?

In some mail from Tom Torrance, sie said:

> The sample file to the contrary, it appears that ipfw will not
> allow the "established" keyword for the "allow icmp" case.
>
> Is this a misunderstanding on my part or a genuine fault"?
>
> Is there another way to allow ICMP only as part of the TCP protocol?

No.

Not even IP Filter does this (yet).  It does for NAT (that is ICMP
headers packets are checked for relevance to an active NAT mapping)
and is on my TODO list for "keep state" 'connections'  too.  You've
got several problems here, if you want to do it for ipfw, the first
being it has no concept of what "sessions" are currently in progress
across/through the firewall (whereas IP Filter can).

Darren