Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 1996 10:56:24 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Adam David" <adam@veda.is>
To:        olah@cs.utwente.nl (Andras Olah)
Cc:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TCP/IP interoperability problem, workaround

> > The problem that I had been experiencing with some TCP/IP connections not
> > working (typically manifesting as input being received but output not being
> > sent) can be worked around by setting the MTU to 552 on the relevant network
> > interface. This problem started in -current sometime around Nov/Dec AFAIK
>
> Is it possible that some device on the path gets confused by MTU
> discovery?  Just a wild guess...

Looks probable. The very next hop in our local network is a pcroute-derived
router. If there are implementations out there that choke on MTU Discovery,
is there a better failure mode than hanging the (output) connection? An MTU
of 552 at either end of the connection was enough to prevent the hang, but
this is only a workaround not a fix, since any network node might get confused
if it doesn't handle MTU discovery.

--
Adam David <adam@veda.is>