Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 11:15:20 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.ORG, dd@FreeBSD.ORG, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rel.current entity for www/en a la Handbook

--==_Exmh_1739813856P

This is a multipart MIME message.

--==_Exmh_17349746090

If memory serves me right, Nik Clayton wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 01:03:56AM -0700, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> > In order to simplify trasitioning from one release to another, I think
> > the web site could use an entity similar to &rel.current; that the
> > Handbook uses.  From looking at includes.sgml it looks like something
> > like this has been attempted (see a.latest.ann and a.latest.not
> > entities), but died off (the aforementioned entities still point to
> > 3.4!).

Just for kicks, here's what RELNOTESng uses (see attachment), modulo
things like a $FreeBSD$ tag and some whitespace fixes.

> I think we should standardise these across the doc/ and www/ trees.

That sounds pretty reasonable.

One thought I have is that RELNOTESng, which will live in src/, may need
to be kept separate because it's branched (in the CVS sense) and doc/
and www/ are not.  So I'd like to either use differently-named entities
or else have the ability to avoid including the file that defines the
release-related entities but still include some others (such as the
committers, manpages, etc.).

Does this sound workable, or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks,

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_17349746090

<!-- -*- sgml -*- -->

<!-- OS Release Information -->

<!-- Version of the OS we're describing.  This needs to be updated
     with each new release. -->
<!ENTITY release.current "5.0-CURRENT">

<!-- The previous version used for comparison in the "What's New"
     section.  For -CURRENT, we might point back to the last
     branchpoint. -->
<!ENTITY release.prev "4.0-RELEASE">

<!-- The next version to be released, usually used for snapshots. -->
<!ENTITY release.next "5.0-RELEASE">

<!-- The name of this branch. -->
<!ENTITY release.branch "5-CURRENT">

<!-- The URL for obtaining this version of FreeBSD. -->
<!ENTITY release.url "ftp://current.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/">;

<!-- The type of release (usually this will be either "snapshot"
     or "release" -->
<!ENTITY release.type "snapshot">

<!-- Text constants which probably don't need to be changed.-->

<!-- Name of our OS.  This is almost certainly going to remain
     FreeBSD, but we might want to try to do some other formatting or
     other fancy markup on it in the future. -->
<!ENTITY os "FreeBSD">

--==_Exmh_17349746090--

--==_Exmh_1739813856P

--==_Exmh_1739813856P--