Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 17:44:05 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
Cc:        jim@FreeBSD.org, dan@langille.org, anderson@centtech.com, blackend@FreeBSD.org, cjuniet@entreview.com, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/41106: FreeBSD Handbook lacks "Desktop Applications" chapter.

On 5 Aug 2002 at 14:02, Ross Lippert wrote:

> Freshports has definitely been a value-add that has proven its
> longevity.

*blush*

> >FWIW: users have talked about commenting on the ports.  I think
> >they'd take to it like wild fire.
> So with comments, we're talking about threaded comments of some sort
> on the port?

Yes.  It would be similar to what exists on the Diary
(http://www.freebsddiary.org/phorum/) and uses phorum code.

> Perhaps, on FreshPorts, there could be comments with a TTL and
> articles with a bigger TTL.  Things in comment space are quickly
> moderated for spam or other evil and posted.  Things in article space
> are reviewed for tags, language, and maybe even accuracy before being
> placed, at which point the corresponding author(s) on the article are
> obligated to receive all subsequent comments made (and we trust they
> do not /dev/null them).

Phorum already has the ability to moderate.  Newer posts appear at
the top.  I have already customized phorum to separate comments on an
article by article basis.  Extending that to a port by port basis
would be trivial.

> I think that generally the guidelines for the articles should be
> similar to what we've been discussing.  I'd hate to see a "Why I hate
> windowmaker" as an article.

Such trolls could be hidden/removed with moderation.
--
Dan Langille
I'm looking for a computer job: