Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2000 16:39:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
To:        webweaver@rmci.net (Ken)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum Stripe Size

> Greets:
>
> Vinum simple config uses 256k stripe sizes.  However, the examples in _The
> Complete FBSD_ and Greg's web pages use 512k stripe size.  It doesn't
> appear that this will make a whole lot of difference one way or the other,
> but I am curious about what others are using.  This application is for
> stripped mirror on four 9GB drives.
>
> Thanks for your output-- Ken

Actually, I discovered that with 4 drives, you're much better off using an
odd stripe size. (not a power of two) This is because of how the cylinder
groups are laid out, they'll all end up on one drive.

You may want to ask Greg Lehey (grog@lemis.com) for more info about this, as
I can't remember exactly what he came up with for an optimum stripe size.

Kevin