Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 23:57:10 -0000
From:      Kevin.Lyons@kvaerner.com
To:        jan@caustic.org
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Historical /usr/local

/usr is "local" to the machine.  /usr/local is also "local".  I guess the
only case when /usr is not local is if its nfs mounted-but that can't be the
reason.  I realize the convention is that add-on programs go to /usr/local
similar to /opt in slowaris but the terminology or historical basis eludes
me.