Date:      09 Jan 1999 11:23:47 -0500
From:      Matt Curtin <cmcurtin@interhack.net>
To:        Owen Barnett <rainking@shell.futuresouth.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenBSD vs. FreeBSD

Owen Barnett <rainking@shell.futuresouth.com> writes:

> I've been using FreeBSD now for a few months, but have recently read
> a little about OpenBSD.
[...]
> what are the tradeoffs between each system?

I have not run OpenBSD and FreeBSD on the same hardware, so I cannot
make direct comparisons based on personal experience.  I use OpenBSD
on my SPARC hardware (except sun4u, where I use Solaris) and FreeBSD
on my x86 hardware.

OpenBSD is definitely more difficult to install.  It's not hard,
especially if you've been a Unix sysadmin long enough to remember the
days of using a scratchpad and/or calculator before firing up newfs.
(Not necessarily that long ago; SunOS4 required that IIRC.)  But it
doesn't compare to the ease of install of FreeBSD.  The only way to
screw that up is to try and outsmart sysinstall (which seems to be a
mistake that a lot of people make the first time through).

OpenBSD's active developers seem to be more paranoid.  This is useful
in security, and security is a stated goal of OpenBSD.  However, that
isn't to suggest that OpenBSD is completely free from security
problems, or that FreeBSD doesn't give any consideration to security.
Problems that are discovered in any of the BSDs are quickly published
and fixed, and the other BSDs check to see if they're vulnerable,
too.  So, in some sense, *any* BSD being paranoid is good for all of
the BSDs.  OpenBSD people are more likely to fix theoretical
vulnerabilities.

FreeBSD folks lean more toward functionality.  The "ports collection"
concept was Invented Here(tm) and the other BSDs have deemed it a Good
Thing and incorporate it in their systems as well.  FreeBSD seems to
handle internationalization better.  I've had difficulty getting
OpenBSD to deal properly with Latin-1 characters for German in
tty-based programs running in xterms.  No such problem in FreeBSD.
(But I didn't spend any time to figure out what exactly the problem
was, so it very well could have been the application, irc-II, though I
used the same version on both FreeBSD and OpenBSD.)  FreeBSD is also
extremely friendly to Russian, which is very important to me, since I
use that language almost daily.

OpenBSD has many more supported platforms.  So if you want identical
systems all around, even where hardware is different, that would be an
advantage for you.  I have had no problems at all getting any of the
BSDs to talk to each other, and they're similar enough that most
sysadmins won't care; if they can run one, they can run the others.
(Unfortunately, none seem to support the R5k SGI desktop machines.
I've got an Indy here that is about to be upgraded to IRIX 6.5, but it
sure would be nice if I could run a BSD on it.  I've been thinking
about doing a port myself, but doubt that I will because I'm not
likely to have the time to do the deed alone, and I don't exactly see
a huge base of people saying "we wanna help port (Open|Free)BSD to the
Indy!  Even the Linux port is still sans GUI.)

There seems to be quite a bit of code sharing among the BSDs, which I
think is a Good Thing, since it allows each project to focus on what
it wants, while picking up the features invented in other BSDs.

Hope that helps.

--
Matt Curtin cmcurtin@interhack.net http://www.interhack.net/people/cmcurtin/