Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 1999 20:25:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Wayne M Barnes <wayne@barnes1.wustl.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   passwd hang

Dear Jonathan Michaels, John Baldwin, and Mike Smith,

   passwd hang is fixed.  For me, anyway.

   Thank you for suspecting NIS, which was sort of invoked on
my system, for no reason.  Once I deleted all references to it
in /etc/rc.conf.local, the hanging of passwd and send-pr went away.

   This has bothered me on and off for years.  I hope it's gone for
good now.  On another 3.2 system, and with 2.2.8, it never happened,
even with the spurious nis client turned on.

Wayne M. Barnes, Ph.D.                        wayne@barnes1.wustl.edu
Biochemistry Dept. 8231
Washington Univ. Medical School               314.362.3351  fax 7183
660 South Euclid Ave., St. Louis, MO 63110
          http://barnes1.wustl.edu       Just plain Taq is old tech anymore.