Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 09:53:08 PDT
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        Jos Visser <josv@osp.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wavelan 802.11 with encryption

     To answer the original question, 4.0-STABLE (and -RELEASE, I
imagine), does support encryption -- I know, I'm using it with the gold
card.  Just read the wicontrol(8) man page.  Note, however, that
wicontrol appears to have a bug that limits key strings to 14 bytes;
this is fine for a pure ASCII-text key (which is probably not
recommended, due to a limited keyspace), but causes problems when you
try to specify a key in hex.

> WEP encryption (default with the Silver Wavelan card) supports a 64-bit
> key. That's strong enough for me. Anyone who's interested enough in my
> stuff to come over to my house, tap into the 802.11 traffic and feed it
> to a sufficiently strong computer to do a brute force attack on the 64
> bit key has plenty of other (cheaper and easier) opportunities to
> retrieve whatever they want.

     Please note that the silver (64-bit) card has really only 40-bits
of encryption; 24 bits cannot be specified by the user and are used as:

	... a per-packet sequence number (which are logically equivalent
	to an initialization vector with chained block ciphers like
	DES-CBC mode).

For more info, see:

	http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-net/2000/02/04/0001.html

I imagine that the gold card has only 128-24 -> 104 key bits.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com