Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 1997 02:28:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
To:        Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some advice needed.

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Michael Dillon wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Mike Tancsa wrote:
>
> > >	Hmmm, isn't there anyway to track down a external modem at all?
>
> It's simpler than that. Just keep stats on modem usage. Then check your
> charts each day and it will be quite obvious if a line is not used at all
> or has a much shorter average call time (i.e. it's disconnecting people).
> Once you see what looks like a problem modem, you can test it by dialing
> into that line's real number.

	What would happen if the modems were never that busy all the
time that it even made it to that modem because the lines before it are
still free?

> > problematic and give lower connection speeds that the others.  With
> > external analog modems, you dont have any way of tracking this.
>
> Sure you do. There are lots of ISP's out there with hundreds of external
> modems. They manage to track them quite well.

	Probably.

> > Once you
> > have 50+ modems, snooping around them starts to become a real pain, and
> > again will cost you money...
>
> Inefficiency will cost you money. But creative thinking will often save
> you more than anything else.

	This is the case as with anything.

> > Dont know what Annex has done recently... I thought they were bought up by
> > one of the big players... Like I said, I like and use Livingston stuff...
>
> If you aren't in a hurry to buy new equipment, the best bet would be to
> head of to ISPCON in San Francisco, the end of August, and check out all
> the equipment vendors that will be there in full force.
>
> http://www.ispcon.com

	Does the ISPCON cost anything?  Anyone know anything about the
ISP Conference in San Jose or San Mateo this weekend?

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]