Date:      Sat, 9 Jan 1999 19:52:03 +0100 (CET)
From:      Malte Lance <malte.lance@gmx.net>
To:        cmcurtin@interhack.net
Cc:        jcwells@u.washington.edu, graeme@babylon.wsc.monash.edu.au, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New Majordomo Feature

On  7 Jan, Matt Curtin wrote:
> "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu> writes:
>> Nearly all of my spam comes from these lists. Granted, spam is a low
>> percentage of my total traffic.
>
> That can be (mostly) solved by closing the lists so that only
> subscribers can post...

How about making the lists semi-permeable regarding posting:
  o subscribed people can post without restrictions

  o not-subscribed people get a confirmation-request on their
    post by email and have to send-back that confirmation-request
    to let their post through into the list.

This does not really prevent abuse by spammers, but it makes it
uncomfortable to spammers.

Malte.
--
Malte Lance.