Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 12:57:48 +0000
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@tri-lakes.net>
To:        Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Internet providers discouraging customers from unix

Cliff Addy wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Stephen A. Derdau wrote:
>
> > > on five platforms (MS-DOS, OS/2, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, FreeBSD) and
> > > FreeBSD turned out to be the easiest. OS/2 was a nighmare.
>
> I have to jump in on this.  I've never had an easier time than with OS/2
> and FreeBSD, as much as I like and use it, was the worst.

I frequent #FreeBSD on the Undernet (actually, I'm the channel owner)
and used to get frequent pleas for help in setting up userland-ppp (I
won't even get into kernel-ppp <grin>) and had to finally create my own
little step-by-step help file to help people get it set up.  The manpage
for ppp in FBSD 2.1.x and even the FAQ didn't seem to help them much
(They were informational enough for me, at least).  I noticed the
greatly-improved documentation of ppp in 2.2.x while also noting a
greatly decreased number of pleas for help. ;-> I haven't lately checked
the FAQ so I don't know if it has had any improvements made to it in the
area of setting up userland-ppp.

Chris Dillon