Date:      Sat, 1 Dec 2001 04:11:45 +0300
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD sort vs GNU sort.

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 11:44:32 -0500, Brian F. Feldman wrote:

> the i18n "support" currently in GNU sort now.  What would keeping GNU sort
> instead of switching to BSD sort buy me?

The l10n of GNU sort is already done (by me). The l10n of BSD sort not
yet. So keeping GNU sort buy you no additional l10n work required from my
side.

> I say we switch to BSD sort immediately, get rid of more crappy GNU code,
> and if we want to say that our sort supports i18n we can ACTUALLY MAKE IT
> SUPPORT I18N not some half-assed "this is internationalized where
> 'international' means 'probably works for some latin languages, and stuff'".

It seems you know very little about i18n.

1) What happens with sort called l10n.

2) What you descrive as half-assed is most common situation in l10n at
whole, multi-byte l10n is very different subject from single-byte l10n.
Currently we have single-byte l10n of GNU sort modulo limitations comes
from its byte-per-byte algorithm which not allows collation sequences
longer than one char. I don't see BSD sort sources yet, but don't think it
will be different in that area.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
http://ache.pp.ru/