Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 2010 18:04:27 -0300 (ADT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Adam McGreggor <adam-fbsd@amyl.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OSS Control Panel to manage FreeBSD jails ... ?

Actually, the big issue(s) that I'm facing are non-tech users that are
fearful of non-cpanel, and the lack of any truely integrated OSS solution

>From what I've read so far, what I have almost appears to be the closest
integrated solution that focuses on FreeBSD jails ...

I'm going to open up our code base in CVS so that others can look at it
... worst case, ppl say it sucks and is useless ... best case, maybe it
gives a foundation to expand upon ... *shrug*

Will post an announce later this week, including screen shots ....

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010, Adam McGreggor wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 03:49:07PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> what it doesn't do is dns or email management ... dns is modified 'by
>> request', and email is a totally seperate, unintegrated inferface ...
>
> If you've got moderately technically competent users, you may find
> Jonathan McDowell's AutoDNS
>
>    http://www.earth.li/projectpurple/progs/autodns.html
>
> useful (at least, if users run their own DNS servers).
>
> (Or indeed, use some of that/the idea to allow zonefile updates by
> gpg-signed email)
>
> Last time I looked at this (letting end-users faff with DNS zones) --
> a few years back -- there were a couple of not-so-sucky options
> available of freshmeat.
>
> As for managing email, hum. That's where it gets complicated. Presumably
> your MTA handles database-lookup/backends (or indeed, flatfiles for
> each domain), so why not build a quick and dirty $language-of-choice
> script to pull known domains (to the account), and let them run wild,
> obviously, with syntax checking.
>
>    http://www.ex-parrot.com/~chris/vmail-sql/
>
> may be worth a look, if you've not seen it already, and don't want to
> completely write something yourself.
>
> (although, note
>    http://www.ex-parrot.com/~chris/wwwitter/20070305-chris_lightfoot_1978-2007.html )
>
>> I don't want to have to log
>> into multiple interfaces to deal with support issues, for instance ..
>> but, at the same time, don't want to force a client to have two different
>> interfaces to handle things ...
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions on software that could replace this?
>
> Presumably you're not talking about using RT (or similar) here, as the
> software used to store/process the support requests, but something to
> manage them.
>
> I think the short answer is, none of us will ever be completely
> content with stuff other people have written, so, erm, it's best to
> roll our own, for our own needs, and hope it works/doesn't break.
>
> --
> ''meetings, n.:
>    A place where minutes are kept and hours are lost.''

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org