Date:      Sat,  9 Jan 1999 14:03:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matt Curtin <cmcurtin@interhack.net>
To:        malte.lance@gmx.net
Cc:        jcwells@u.washington.edu, graeme@babylon.wsc.monash.edu.au, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New Majordomo Feature

>>>>> "Malte" == Malte Lance <malte.lance@gmx.net> writes:

Malte> How about making the lists semi-permeable regarding posting:
Malte>   o subscribed people can post without restrictions

Malte>   o not-subscribed people get a confirmation-request on their
Malte> post by email and have to send-back that confirmation-request
Malte> to let their post through into the list.

In my post, I forgot to add that nonsubscribers' posts should be
moderated somehow, making it sound like I was advocating something
more severe than I intended.

I like this better than the idea I meant to convey.  I believe the
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi newsgroup works that way[*], and it
seems to work pretty well.

[* Actually, the first time that you post from a given address, it
asks for confirmation.  After that, your posts are approved
automagically.]

--
Matt Curtin cmcurtin@interhack.net http://www.interhack.net/people/cmcurtin/