Date:      Sat, 20 Nov 1999 19:22:50 -0600
From:      "Ryan Thompson [FreeBSD]" <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        "Arturo Chen T." <artchen@wqn.net.pa>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /var/mail symlink

Sounds to me like you copied using the superuser account and didn't
preserve the ownerships on the mail files.

man cp

..for details on copying ownerships and permissions with cp -p.

Virtually yours,
- Ryan

"Arturo Chen T." wrote:

>         Hi Im having right now this problem
>
>         I had my users mail files on
>         /var/mail

<SNIP>

>         cant open temporary file, do you own it?
>
>         Can someone help me with this?
> Arturo Chen T.
> Director de Operaciones Técnicas
> World Quest Networks Panamá
> (507)210-1602

---------

Sounds to me like you copied using the superuser account and didn't
preserve the ownerships on the individual mail files.

man cp

..for details on copying ownerships and permissions with cp -p.

To verify, try ls -laf.  Each mail file should be owned by the user
named in the filename (NOT root :-), and have permissions set to 600.
(Owner read/write).

Virtually yours,
- Ryan

--