Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 00:25:04 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Computer disappears from the network, then reappears...?

Lo and behold, David Greenman once said:

>    There aren't any known bugs in the driver, but the 82557 chip (the NIC) has
> a bug that causes it to "go away" when it sees any garbage data. There is a
> "work around" that basically amounts to resetting the chip if you don't see
> any traffic in <n> seconds. I think this is pretty disgusting, however, so I
> didn't implement it. The newer revision chips are supposed to have this
> problem fixed.

   Too much fun. :)  Will downing the interface and bringing it back up
reset the chip properly, or is there a different system call we'd have to
make to do it?  (If so, give me a pointer, and I'll happily come up with
a reset-the-chip utility).

   -Dave Andersen

--
angio@aros.net                Complete virtual hosting and business-oriented
system administration         Internet services.  (WWW, FTP, email)