Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:16:13 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        crh@outpost.co.nz
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org, tlambert@primenet.com
Subject:   Re: What to tell to Linux-centric people?!

> > Speaking for myself, it's because people who don't know better
> > depend upon its features, rendering shell scripts non-portable.
> >
> > In order to run these scripts, you have to install bash.
> >
> > In order to do that, you have to run "configure".
> >
> > In order to do that, you have to install GNU "make".
>
> You must be doing it the hard way, Terry. I usually find:
>
> 	$ cd /usr/ports/shells/bash2
> 	$ make install
>
> works fine.

I tried this on my HP340, but it stopped me cold at the "cd".

Funny enough, the same thing happened on my Solaris, SunOS 4.1,
and AIX (PPC) boxes, too.

Too bad I can't install (standard) FreeBSD on any of these.

And I tried rerunning the shell script under all the other
shells on the box, but it failed for lack of bash "extensions".

My conclusion?

"Standard plus extensions" is the same thing as "non-standard".

I guess whoever wrote bash never had to deal with NDS being
"Standard X.500 plus Novell extensions" or the Novell print
model being "Palladium plus Novell extensions".

Morons who add extensions, and then turn them on by default,
are the bane of interoperability everywhere.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.