Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 17:31:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "David K. Phinney" <dphinney@dowco.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sendmail 8.8 Autoconverting Quoted-printable to 8-bit...

RE: Sendmail 8.8 Autoconverting quoted-printable back to 8-bit on receipt

This is good, right? One of my customers was upset because he noticed
the `X-MIME-Autoconverted: from quoted-printable to 8bit' header in one
of his messages. His argument was that MIME was becoming the industry
standard and converting back to 8-bit was defeating MIME's purpose. Also,
he wasn't getting the message exactly as it was sent (this is easily
defeated, email is mashed and coverted all over the place on its way
to the end server, even the sender's mailer is doing a conversion when
it puts certain characters into the quoted printable sequence) What
do I say to him? Should I turn this conversion off (and how?). I think
it's a good thing, your mailer shouldn't have to handle those `=XX'
sequences (or should it?).

Please help! :)

Regards,

David K. Phinney