Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 2015 15:18:34 -0500
From:      Michael Powell <nightrecon@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: no sound in firefox youtube videos (HTML5)

Giuseppe Pagnoni wrote:

> Thank you very much: I rebuild firefox without selecting pulseaudio, and
> it works now!  It's not very clear to me why alsa and pulseaudio are
> incompatible (since you can select them both), but I am quite happy with
> the results.

[snip]

Alsa is low level hardware and drivers. Pulseaudio is more or less an audio
sound mixer/server that runs on top as an extra layer. Applications that are
designed to utilize pulseaudio need to have a library or method coded to be
able to access it. If they don't then pulseasudio being a layer in between
will only serve to block access to the lower levels.

-Mike