Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 00:19:43 +0200
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [fix and RFC] interrupt-level buffer overflows with Xircom  PCMCIAmodem

Bruce Evans wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Feb 2000, Jose M. Alcaide wrote:
>
> > the addition of a new kernel configuration option for permitting
> > to change RS_IBUFSIZE to any desired value.
>
> RS_IBUFSIZE doesn't exist in -current.  Instead, the buffer is sized to
> hold 4 ticks (4.0 / hz seconds) worth of input at the current input speed
> (or 128 bytes if that is larger).

Six weeks passed after this issue was discussed in -hardware. I come
back because finally I installed 4.0-RELEASE on my laptop, so that I
could test the new sio(4) dynamic buffer sizing with the Xircom Realport 56
pccard modem, which has a broken 16550 emulation.

At 115200, ibufsize is 512, and the buffer overflows still happen.
I experimentally determined that the overflows dissapear when I modify
the ibufsize computation, doubling the buffer size (i.e., ibufsize=1024
at 115200). Just FYI, Bruce.

Cheers,
-- JMA

 **** Jose M. Alcaide  //  jose@we.lc.ehu.es  //  jmas@FreeBSD.org ****
 "Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers"  --   Leonard Brandwein