Date:      Tue, 07 Mar 2000 15:58:00 -0700
From:      Ken <webweaver@rmci.net>
To:        Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum Stripe Size

At 04:39 PM 3/7/00 -0600, Kevin Day wrote:

> > Greets:
> >
> > Vinum simple config uses 256k stripe sizes.  However, the examples in _The
> > Complete FBSD_ and Greg's web pages use 512k stripe size.  It doesn't
> > appear that this will make a whole lot of difference one way or the other,
> > but I am curious about what others are using.  This application is for
> > stripped mirror on four 9GB drives.
> >
> > Thanks for your output-- Ken
> >

>Actually, I discovered that with 4 drives, you're much better off using an
>odd stripe size. (not a power of two) This is because of how the cylinder
>groups are laid out, they'll all end up on one drive.
>
>You may want to ask Greg Lehey (grog@lemis.com) for more info about this, as
>I can't remember exactly what he came up with for an optimum stripe size.

I figured he'd end up seeing this and I didn't want to bug him at his
private address;)  The docs suggest 256k to 512K.  I thing I read somewhere
to use 512 with larger drives, but cannot recall precisely where.  BTW,
this is for a web hosting box.  I could probably get by with RAID-1, but
figured I might as well go with RAID-10 since I have the drives to spare.

Regards, Ken