Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 1998 08:13:00 +0200
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        Adrian Goins <monachus@arces.net>
Cc:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: servlet capable server, jdk1.2beta?

On Tue, Mar 31, 1998 at 11:00:57PM -0700, Adrian Goins wrote:
> Quoting Christoph Kukulies (kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE):
> >
> > I'm trying to experiment with servlets. Is there any
> > servlet capable web server for FreeBSD available?
>
> i'm running apache 1.2.4 on FreeBSD 2.2.5-SNAP and am successfully using
> servlets under jserv0.9.10.  i set it all up out of httpd.conf with the
> following:
>
> ServletBinary /usr/local/jdk1.1.5/bin/java
> ServletBinaryArgument -ms8m -mx16m
> ServletClassPath /usr/local/jdk1.1.5/lib/classes.zip
> ServletClassPath /usr/local/jdk1.1.5/lib/servclasses.zip
> ServletClassPath /usr/local/jdk1.1.5/lib/classes
>
> #ServletEnvironment
> ServletErrorLog /var/log/servlet.error
> ServletPort 8007
> ServletProperties /usr/local/www/server/conf/servlets.properties
> ServletAuthExport off
> ServletAlias /servlet /usr/local/www/servlets
>
> i've even set up servlet access for my virtualhosts by just adding a
> ServletAlias line which points at the right directory.  no problems here!
>
> i've done considerable work with servlets under NT (i run servers with
> both operating systems), using the JRun servlet engine, and i find the
> apache one to be much more configurable and user friendly (but that's just
> the fault of IIS).
>
> if i can be of specific help, please let me know.

Thanks. A little bit too late :-). I'm in the Jserv game since a couple
of days and I managed to get apache-current (1.3b5) running with
Jserv0.9.10 so far.

At least I have the server spawn the java interpreter with jserv (hope so)
without errors anymore. Sorted out a buglet (?) in mod_jserv.c
where a free(): junk pointer too high message was caused by
httpd/mod_jserv.c (a free on a closed file pointer was made).

What I'm now looking for is a html example to test the functionality.
I mean, all the naming/aliasing stuff. What goes into what directories.
what files (.html .jtml) etc. etc.