Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 2008 09:12:45 -0700
From:      christopher <skeptikos@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: port management practices

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:02:06 -0700
Brian <bri@brianwhalen.net> wrote:

> Jason C. Wells wrote:
> > I don't.
> >
> > It's too much work. I don't update ports for the duration of a

> I suppose this is relative to the number of ports installed, but it
> really isnt that difficult under normal circumstances.  If you have one
> that needs to be treated differently, then ask why does it indeed to be
> treated differently and is it worth it.  Over the last few years, I have
> had very few problems where portsnap followed by portupgrade didn't
> work.   The dependency problems are the toughest, the last one of those
> I had I fixed with portmanager.  For me, a goal worth pursuing is to
> make it easier, so you don't need to be a longterm user to figure out
> how to easily update system and/or ports, it should be a little easier
> AND apparent; even Microsoft and Redhat tell you when there are updates
> to be applied.

I've kind of taken to the same practice as Jason by
sticking with things once my system is up and running.
It worked for me very well and it kept me with 5.4 for
quite a long time. When I did do upgrades, I actually
reinstalled them all by doing pkg_delete -a.

I checked out the ports TODO, and there were some
interesting things there, but nothing topical for my
original query.

I finally upgraded to 7.0, and that's when I ran into
just the one issue with openoffice, actually cups is
still giving me some issues, but that's not as vital. I
use my system as a desktop, so there is gimp,
openoffice, kde (for when my gf needs to use my
computer), inkscape and a bunch of multimedia stuff.
Some people say that FreeBSD isn't good, nor intended
to be run as a desktop, but I am actually quite happy
with it ~ Chris

--
christopher <skeptikos@gmail.com>