Date:      Sat, 9 Jan 1999 21:14:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Confused on Hacker/Cracker Definition

I have long held the understanding that in computing, a "hacker" fixes
things and a "cracker" breaks them. As I continue to try to learn about
information security I read many articles.

It seems that the distinction between hacker and cracker is blurred in
cyberpress. This blurring seems to occur even on computer savvy news sites
like cnet, slashdot, and wired.

TNHD still provides a negative view on "crackers". Some of these cracker
groups seem to claim themsleves as hackers. Is this a bid for credibility
akin to a terrorist claiming to be a politician?

I am wondering if the meaning of words is shifting and the people that I
continue to call cracker are gaining (perceived) credibility enough to be
called hacker? Is my understanding outdated?

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/