Date:      Tue, 1 Nov 2011 07:28:18 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        perryh@pluto.rain.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The ports are really funcional?
References:  <F2F10B45-7FDF-44F9-B8AC-529004722FF5@gmail.com> <CAHieY7Qr8d6JOMK2w2xDUxu19aw%2BzLxDQfTYgvv7S6YNmWo02g@mail.gmail.com> <20111031040545.cc7d874f.freebsd@edvax.de> <CAO6-GAeVNJDnmk68y3tv4nRrWAf-EbF0Rc2Ft2EQEjaLzmPnLA@mail.gmail.com> <557A48F1-B4A0-407D-A8F1-1502990AE31E@gmail.com> <20111031182528.619b9b83.freebsd@edvax.de> <j8mspj$b2g$1@dough.gmane.org> <4eafef5a.xn0KmWlZlGCMzFaA%perryh@pluto.rain.com>

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 06:08:42 -0700, perryh@pluto.rain.com wrote:
> My experience is exactly the opposite.  The biggest problem I've
> had with ports came from trying to follow the recommended approach
> of updating the tree after installing, before trying to build
> anything.

This is a _conditional_ suggestion. For those who follow
a -STABLE branch, using a continuously updated ports tree,
in combination with updating the OS and the installed
applications, might sound more interesting than the
opposite approach: Installing and _using_ a -RELEASE
(and often only adding the security updates) and
working with the "frozen" ports tree of that particular
release.

Note the difference of -RELEASE and -STABLE - you'll
find similarities in handling the ports tree.

There is no clear definition of "use _this_ on a server,
use _that_ on a desktop"; individual updating and using
habits are important here.

> In retrospect, I'm not at all sure why anyone would be surprised
> at this finding -- or why "update it first" would be recommended.
> The ports tree is known to be buildable and self-consistent when
> packages are built for a release, and that version of the tree
> is distributed with the release.

Correct. Especially for offline operations, this is an
approach often recommended.

> If something won't build on a
> freshly-installed -RELEASE, but the build cluster _was_ able to
> build the package, there pretty much has to be something wrong with
> the local installation.

And in that case, exchanging a non-compiling port (for
whatever reason) with a binary package from the RELEASE
set of archives is a possible way to solve the problem.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany