Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:33:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What to tell to Linux-centric people?!

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Ollivier Robert wrote:

> According to Doug:
> > > variables,
> >
> > 	Errr... Not sure what you mean by this one.
>
> Many variables to control features and shell behaviour, some coming from tcsh
> and new to zsh, examples :
>
> setopt auto_list

	Bash has at least 3 different ways to control that kind of stuff,
some with variables, some with the shopt builtin, and some with the set
builtin. Some have more than one way to be changed for backwards
compatability.

> > 	How fancy do you want? :) Take a look at
> > http://home.san.rr.com/freebsd/Bash-prompts.txt.
>
> Is this a contest ? :)

	Nope. My point was merely that you can get as fancy as you want
with Bash prompts.

> > 	Heh, "It's different" is a good description of how people usually
> > criticize things. Also, most of the key bindings are configurable,
> > including built in emacs and vi modes.
>
> Different from both tcsh and zsh (at least in emacs mode). The defaults suit
> me more in both of these than in bash.

	Non sequitur. The fact that the defaults for one or another shell
suit you better don't have anything to do with anything. If you couldn't
easily twiddle something to fit your needs, that would be significant. The
Bash defaults don't suit me all that well, which is why I have a set of
configuration files that I use to "fix" them. :)

Doug