Date:      Wed, 06 Oct 1999 08:04:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        mwlucas@gltg.com, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: make docs broken?

[copied to -doc, please send all replies there and not to -stable]

On 06-Oct-99 mwlucas@gltg.com wrote:
> Thanks much!
>
> Perhaps this should be documented in the Makefile or a README under
> /usr/doc?  If not, where would I look to learn this?

It's not documented anywhere obvious, and perhaps that should be fixed.
Perhaps the makefiles should check for an existing directory before
creating the symlinks and then warn the user?  What does the rest of
-doc think?

>> On 06-Oct-99 mwlucas@gltg.com wrote:
>> > The make runs well enough, but make install chokes:
>>
>>   [snip]
>>
>> > /usr/share/doc/handbook ->
>> > /usr/share/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/handbook
>> > rm: handbook: is a directory
>> > *** Error code 1
>>
>> Delete your old copies of the docs in
>> /usr/share/doc/{faq,handbook,tutorials} before running the install.
>> It's trying to create symlinks from the old locations to the new
>> locations but the old locations still exist.  You'll only have to do
>> this once.
>>
>> > ==ml

---

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://www.cslab.vt.edu/~jobaldwi/