Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 1997 13:49:34 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Jack Wenger <info@bentreality.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD ISP list <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Setting Up Web Hosting

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Jack Wenger wrote:

> I'm considering setting up a web hosting only (no dial-up) service. Probably
> with a 56K or 64k line to start.

Go for a line you can upgrade to T1 easily (you might need it), 56/64K
might not be easily upgradeable, depends on the interface they supply,
check first it's cheaper later. (If you're in europe look at E1 lines)

> For equipment, I think I need the following:
>
>         CSU/DSU

We got a RISCOM WANic for this, nice board, plugs straight in and works a
treat, don't get the ISA version, it just didn't work well for us.

>         Router

Run gated/routed on your machine with the WANic and put a netcard on it
attach to hub an webserver. It's easy.

>         Hub

If possible get a switch instead, much better when you have lots of
people attached to it, we couldn't afford one, and have a couple of
ACCTON etherhub 16s+ boxes, which flash nicely when you turn them on.
There's not much to hubs other than flashing really.

> I have a P-133 running 2.1.6 with 32mb ram, and not enough HD (1.6 gb IDE).
> Also running Apache as my web-server. Will be getting 2-2gb SCSI HD's for
> this box.

Our router is a P133 running 3.0-970209-SNAP, runs like a dream with the
WANic card and an Intel EtherExpress (don't get one though) get a DEC
21x40A/C based card or whatever if you can.

> I'm looking for suggestions for the connection end of things, hardware and
> software.

Software is easy, just use FreeBSD, I think 2.2 might support what I just
mentioned okay, but 3.0-970209-SNAP is unbeleivably stable (even in out
production environment).

> How hard is it to get a class C set of IP numbers? Can I get these directly
> from the Internic? Or do I have to get them from my upstream provider?

If you are not becoming a top level supplier then your ISP will supply
these for you, if you are becoming a top level supplier then good luck.
You'll need to fill in a bunch of forms, just do it right or they just
say no go away and you have to start again.
If you go for a line that's easily upgradeable you should get your ISP to
throw in a Class C for no problem, just make sure you have a beleivable
addressing plan.

--
Steve Roome
Broom Cupboard Stockist/Technical Systems Manager, Vision Interactive Ltd.