Date:      Sat, 10 Oct 1998 03:15:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Tom T. Thai" <tomthai@future.net>
To:        Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
Cc:        Steve Kaczkowski <steve@inc.net>, Kevin Lam <kevla@studentmail.dis.unimelb.edu.au>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & DSL technology

Doug, I'm been working with my telco to try for dry copper but the
insisted that both end points should be served by the same common
switch/exchange point?  Have you found this to be true?

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Doug Russell wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Steve Kaczkowski wrote:
>
> > > Does the PairGain unit use standard phone wiring or does it require special
> > > wiring on the part of the telco?
> > >

> > Well, standard DRY copper, no coils or anything like that. Any flavor of
> > xDSL that you go with is going to require the same thing, dry pairs with
> > NOTHING on them (no coils,voltage,etc)..
>
> Additionally, you often have to look out for bridged taps.  The lower
> speed xDSL (or DSL-like) products often tolerate them, but must full rate
> DSL requires a bundle without them to be used, or for them to be removed.
>
> Removing them gets tricky sometimes.  For example, there is one area of
> Calgary that is soooo funky, the TELCO has NO idea what is going on with
> the cables in the area.  There are bridged taps all over the place, but
> nobody knows where... and half the wires run under/over/around a large
> shopping mall, and two main roads which intersect there.  Basically,
> NOTHING except voice lines is available in that whole area.  :)
>
> OTOH, just about everywhere else in town works, at least for the "last
> mile".  I'm having a devil of a time trying to get them to admit that they
> have pairs leaving downtown towards the exhange my house is on.  grrrr
>
> How can you tell I'm currently battling the TELCO over dry copper?  :)
>
> Later......						<Doug>

Thomas T. Thai          Infomedia Interactive Communications
tom@iic.net             TEL 612.376.9090 * FAX 612.376.9087