Date:      Fri, 06 Aug 1999 08:20:47 -0700
From:      Eric Hodel <hodeleri@seattleu.edu>
To:        W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD cures RSI

W Gerald Hicks wrote:

> > All of this younger people can't type bullshit is mostly a bunch of
> > phogies trying to feel good about themselves.  They should stick to
> > stories about being forced to program their Altairs through toggle
> > switches and how we have it so good these days with structured
> > languages.
>
> Bah, I had a paper tape reader on my ASR33 teletype.  There was a
> very small loader we entered through the front panel but the biggest
> problem was avoiding inevitable tears of the tape.
>
> You weenie whippersnappers can handle electronics fine but let's see
> you fix something with the mechanical complexity of a teletype, or
> even change the oil in your (imported) car.  Build your own big-block
> Chevy musclecar?  Forget it  :P

My parents only by American cars.  Oil changes are just look for the
bolt in the bottom of the oil pan, drain oil into receptacle, restore
plug, remove oil-filter, replace, refil.

As for mechanical devices, how about disassembling a Horse-drawn,
rusted-beyond-all-hell corn binder?  Maybe not as fancy as a teletype,
but twice as tough to get apart.
--
Eric Hodel
hodeleri@seattleu.edu

"They cook your gonies"
     -Terry Lambert's uncle on why he doesn't have a microwave