Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 21:44:45 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        Assayer <labfire@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't boot with FTP floppies

    lines as long as 436 characters?
    hit enter every now and then, please!

# labfire@mindspring.com / 2002-11-20 11:59:45 -0800:
> I downloaded your FTP boot floppies for versions 4.6, then 4.6.2, and
> 4.7, kern.flp and mfsroot.flp, used FDImage to put them on MSDos
> floppies but they failed to get an options screen after both disks
> were loaded.   Kern.flp loaded then the mfsroot.flp loaded but
> produced a boot prompt and nothing else, giving the message "No
> /boot/loader" and then "No /Kernel".   Hitting the "enter" key did
> nothing except repeat the boot prompt.
>
> I then tried version Free BSD 4.4 floppy files from a CD, kern.flp and
> mfsroot.flp, using FDImage, and they worked fine, putting me into an
> options screen for partitioning the hard drive.   I noticed the CD
> floppy files had a /sysinstall screen that the FTP floppies lacked.
>
> Is part of the boot loader missing from your more recent version FTP
> floppy files?
>
> I've tried everything, even reading the instructions, but nothing
> works except the earlier boot floppies from the CD.

    yesterday I installed 4.7 on an old 486 box using kern.flp,
    mfsroot.flp, and 4.7-mini.iso fetched from one of the freebsd ftp
    servers (BIOS in the box can't boot from cdrom).

    your problem is some kind of incompatibility between the code and
    your hardware, but nothing's missing from those images, that's for
    sure.