Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 1996 11:33:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        Steve Reid <root@edmweb.com>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Computer disappears from the network, then reappears...?

On Wed, 29 May 1996, Steve Reid wrote:

> This is strange... Has anyone else seen this happen?

    Yup... many times under 2.1.0R and only once so far with
2.2-960501.

> It appears as though the machine lost it's network connection (ethernet)
> then got it back... netstat -in shows a few hundred 'Oerrors' which seems
> to confirm that the network connection was lost.

    Hmmm... never thought of checking Oerrs.

> The machine is a 16-meg Pentium 100 with Asus Triton motherboard and
> SCSI-II hard drive on an Adaptec 2940. The ethernet card is an SMC
> EtherPower 10/100 in 10 mbps (standard ethernet) mode.

    The odd thing here is that only one machine here (that I know of)
exhibits this behaviour.  It is a 486DX4/100, ASUS P/I-486SP3G
motherboard with 32MB RAM and the same EtherPower card, running at 10 Mbps.
We have a dozen other P133 servers with the same model of SMC's and
they've never experienced this problem.  Upgrading to the May 1
snapshot appears to have helped the problem machine (and now most of
the other servers are running 2.2-SNAP as well).

> The only thing the machine was really doing at the time was hosting
> the Chatnet IRC bots. The bots disappeared from IRC, and when the
> connection came back they were still gone from IRC, but their
> proccesses were still running.

    The 486 is my workstation, and it just runs X and a bunch of ssh
connections to our main servers.  When it happens, I'll notice a bunch
of hung connections, Netscape frozen, remote xloads and xperfmon++'s
frozen, etc.  When it comes back (seemingly on its own, after a minute
or two), I find a random number of ssh sessions have been closed, some
remote X apps have exited and usually an "nfs send error" or some sort
in the syslog.  Then all is well.  *shrug*
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org, taob@ican.net)
Systems and Network Administrator, Internet Canada Corp.