Date:      Mon, 03 Jun 1996 08:26:20 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
To:        "John A. Booth" <john@ulantris.infinop.com>
Cc:        exuviae@intersurf.com (Chris), questions@freebsd.org, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dial-up under FreeBSD

Risking going off into a tangent...  I just don't like to see
misconceptions about anything getting perpetuated...

>to do dialup) it's probably not possible to host a dialup service with
>95/NT.

Actually, it depends what you're after.  If you want a telnet shell
account, then no, Windows NT won't do that natively.  At least not
without add-on commercial software.

If you want dial-up PPP and/or SLIP access to the Internet, then NT is
quite capable of doing that well.  PPP is built in to NT, and NT
Server is capable of serving many dial-in PPP and/or SLIP connections
in a fashion similar to your average Unix, with many different
multi-port serial boards.

Now, back to the BSD-centered discussion at hand...

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.