Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 21:44:07 +0100 (CET)
From:      Martin Kraft <kraft@hpcs14.dv.fal.de>
To:        roger@cs.strath.ac.uk (Roger Hardiman)
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, cattelan@thebarn.com
Subject:   Re: ES1373/1373 driver now committed to -stable {was: icecast on 3.3-STABLE

Roger Hardiman wrote:

> Well Kim, your dream has come true.
> I committed Russells patch for ES1371/1373 to -STABLE yesterday.
> This means FreeBSD now supports the later revision
> Ensoniq and SoundBlaster PCI 16/64/128 cards (in theory)

Fine. I'm using it since several weeks.

But I think, it is not yet totally finished:

On oct. 25, I wrote (to this list and to Russel):

* Unfortunatedly I encountered another problem: I wasn't able to change
* the LINE input's VOLUME. I modified the line volume using DAP's
* X Mixer. FreeBSD's mixer reported the changed values, but input
* volume did not change effectively.

I cvsup'd 3.3-stable last weekend, including the 1371 stuff. Recompiled
my kernel and repeated the test. No improvement.

In fact, I was not able to record this cd from our concert by means of
the PCI128 and had to use an old SB 16. So this is a strong problem for
me, because I bought the PCI128 for its better A/D converter.

I also would like to report another observation: Playing music via
line out, connected to my active speakers, there are some bad sound
effects at very loud parts of the music. I can not give the exact
technical expression for the effect, but it seems to be a kind of
dynamic limit of the system. (Even with mixer vol 40 and low speaker vol.)

I can hear the same music with the same speakers and the previously
mentioned SB 16 card without these problems.

Is anybody out there, reading this list, who observed the same problem?

Martin Kraft