Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:16:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG (Bill Paul)
To:        jbarrett@amduat.net (Jacob S. Barrett)
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More TrueMobile 1300

> I have a TrueMobile 1300 PCMCIA card.  I have compiled and successfully
> loaded
> the NDIS drivers (5-Current as of 8pm last night).

I'm assuming these are the drivers which came with your laptop.

> The card is detected on
> insert.  Despite all this, all I can seem to do with it is turn the power led
> on and off (ifconfig up/down).  The wicontrol -l command lists the AP in my
> network.  If I configure the interface with the SSID and keys it will never
> associate.  I know a few people have said they have it working, so I am
> wondering what I am doing wrong.  Can anyone make sense of the mess below?
>
> Is it normal for the PCMCIA card to show "Mini-PCI" on insert.  Is this
> because the drivers are the same for both cards?

The description comes from the .INF file that goes with the driver.
There are entries which should match the PCI vendor/device ID and
subsystem ID of your device (which you can find with pciconf -lv).
Sometimes, drivers will match specific vendor/device/subsystem IDs
in order to handle specific card variants. Some only care about the
vendor/device ID and ignore the subsystem ID; in those cases the
driver can handle all the variants equally well.

>From the driver's perspective, cardbus and PCI devices loop pretty
much identical.

> dmesg:
> ndis0: <Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini-PCI Card> mem 0x88002000-0x88003fff irq
> 10 at device 0.0 on cardbus1
> ndis0: NDIS API version: 5.0
> ndis0: 802.11 address: 00:10:c6:30:ed:98
> ndis0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
> ndis0: 11g rates: 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps
>
> ifconfig:
> ndis0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         inet6 fe80::210:c6ff:fe30:ed98%ndis0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
>         ether 00:10:c6:30:ed:98
>         media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect
>         status: no carrier
>         ssid ""
>         channel 11 authmode OPEN powersavemode OFF powersavesleep 100
>         wepmode MIXED weptxkey 1
>         wepkey 1:40-bit

You don't show what command(s) you typed to initialize the interface.
You also don't say what kind of AP you're trying to associate with.

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (510) 749-2329 | Senior Engineer, Master of Unix-Fu
                 wpaul@windriver.com | Wind River Systems
              <adamw> you're just BEGGING to face the moose