Date:      Sun, 07 Jun 1998 15:53:11 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Irritating cpp feature

> I'm coming across an irritating cpp feature trying to port a large body
> of foreign code; namely:
>

> #if 0
> This is pointless text with one of ' in it.
> #endif
>
> Despite the #if-fing out, the quote is still parsed.  Unfortunately,
> this conflicts with a substantial body of #if'd documentation, which
> contains (you guessed it) more comment delimiters.
>
> The code obviously builds OK on other gcc-wielding platforms; is there
> something funny about our preprocessor?

I've seen this before.... it caused me a lot of problems when I first
used (IRRC) version 2.7.*.  I wrote a script to parse ~400000 lines
of code and change the ' to a ", rebuilt and the problem went away.
I thought it happened only for

  // This code isn't here

Afterwards, I realised that I'd made a mistake in the script and
missed a load of should-be-offenders.... but they compiled correctly !

I never got 'round to figuring out what exactly was going on (I got
permanently side-tracked in a new job), but it wasn't easily
reproducible :-(

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;