Date:      Tue, 9 Jun 1998 20:25:15 +0200
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Subject:   Re: Newbie 3 questions.

According to Nick Hibma:
> mount -o update,async /usr ; rm -rf /usr ; mount -o update,sync /usr

The reverse of "async" is "noasync", not "sync" I believe.

> If you have anything operational, DON'T USE ASYNC! You'll have 0 byte
> files before you know it after a crash/unexpected reboot. And believe
> me, you're going to search all over the place to find that one.

Some of us have been using "async" mounts for years (including John Dyson)
without losing anything. Before switching to softupdates, everything on my
disks except /, /usr and /var were "async"...

So YMMV :-)
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-CURRENT #60: Fri May 15 21:04:22 CEST 1998