Date:      Fri, 09 Feb 1996 05:11:49 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert), current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FS PATCHES: THE NEXT GENERATION

> hmm but devfs might be compulsory :)

Erm..  I know you're probably joking, but since you bring it up.  I
don't think that we should even ever consider making devfs mandatory
(optional is fine, I don't mind optional) until a persistance
mechanism that's fully transparent to the user is implemented.

I had UNIX old-timers walk up and tear *my* ears off over this after
Julian's talk at USENIX - they were not at all pleased by his answer
that he considered persistance "a user problem" :-) However, their
impassioned diatribes did give me a chance to consider the matter of
persistence more fully myself, I have to say that I find myself more
or less in full agreement with them.

It has to work the way it works now, e.g. you should be able to just
walk into /dev (and that could be one of many incarnations of `dev',
remember) and futz with permissions or "delete" device entries you
don't want to be present for security reasons, and that information
should stay there across mounts.  David, Justin, Sean and I stood
around for awhile thinking of some ways this might be done in a log
file somewhere, and I'm sure the problem isn't insurmountable.  To NOT
do this and force our users to have to specifically edit chmod, mknods
or rm commands into /etc/rc in order to preserve their changes to /dev
across reboots, well, the phrase "a serious public reaming" comes to
mind when I contemplate the outcome.

					Jordan