Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 2000 13:21:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   make world failed

I was running FreeBSD-3.4-STABLE and wanted to get to 4.0 now that it is
listed as stable.  I have done upgrades since 3.0 and started out like I
usually do.  I followed the instructions on "make world" closely...

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/makeworld.html

... and made sure the source was fully syncronized.  I had synced it a
couple of nights ago and give it one last update before starting yesterday
afternoon.

I checked /etc/group and needed no changes and dropped to single user
mode.  So far everything works as planned.

I deleted the old /usr/obj files, started the script monitor and started
"make world" in /usr/src/.  After a couple of hours of compiling it
started installing and finally failed.

It died at lib/libcom_err/doc when trying to install info files and killed
the rest of the installation and left me hanging.  The machine was
fractured and I was pretty much stuck.  I still am.

I cannot fully install the rest of the system due to errors in "make
installworld" and going back to 3.4 would require much work.

To attempt a fix on all this I mounted my FreeBSD 3.4 live filesystem disk
from cdrom.com and got the old sh and make versions restored so I could
attempt to manually run make installs on the rest of the binaries and
config files.  I was able to push through most of that but now my
secondary drive, a western digital ide drive will no longer mount.  It is
complaining of an incorrect superblock number.

What I was able to accomplish was building a new GENERIC 4.0 kernel, but
binaries like vi, clear and top do not work properly.  I have no idea why.

So basically the ugprade has destroyed my machine and I am not very happy.
Anybody have any suggestions on what I can do next?  I am guessing I will
have to purchase the 4.0 cd and run a clean install and wipe out my
current system... and that option really does not make me happy since I
will have to start over from scratch.

I had things so nice in 3.4.  All I wanted was support for my dvd drive.

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

fortune:
"The identical is equal to itself, since it is different."
		-- Franco Spisani