Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 22:35:08 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Advocacy" <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on the desktop (was: TheRegister article on Hotmail)

Freddie writes:

> Actually, they aren't.

Actually, they are.  Two entirely different codebases, last time I looked at
the code.  The similarity is in name alone.

> OE is nothing more than the mail engine for
> Outlook, and Outlook is nothing more than a
> PIM wrapper around OE.  They are one and the
> same, just with different feature sets.

Unless both products have been rewritten from scratch in the past 36 months,
this is completely untrue.

OE evolved from a crude Internet e-mail function integrated into Internet
Explorer.  Outlook was a separately developed product originally associated
with Office, IIRC, and then adapted to work with Exchange Server in place of
the original Exchange client.  I believe there was still a third version of
Outlook shipped with Windows 95 (the details are fuzzy now).  OE handles
only Internet e-mail.  Outlook handles any kind of e-mail, as long as an
appropriate provider is installed, e.g., Internet e-mail (POP3 or IMAP),
Exchange Server's proprietary e-mail interface, the old Microsoft Mail
interface, and so on (I believe there are providers for Lotus Notes and
other systems as well, although obviously Microsoft does not sell those).

I consider Outlook overkill if one uses only Internet mail.  I use Outlook
Express exclusively.  However, if one is using Microsoft Exchange Server,
Outlook is a very nice client for that product.  OE can go against MXS if
the latter is configured to serve SMTP and POP3 clients.  Outlook can go
against SMTP and POP3 (and IMAP or HTTP) servers if the proper providers are
configured.

I wouldn't mind having a text-only client for UNIX, if one exists that does
not require memorization of a hundred arcane keyboard sequences just for
basic use.